GEM Egypt 2012 Report
- Year of publication: 2013
- Category: National Reports
- Language: English
- Upload date: 2015-03-27
Over the past few years, more attention has been paid to entrepreneurship in Egypt; for its vital role in job creation, opening up opportunities for youth, stimulating innovation and other aspects that contribute directly to the economic prosperity of the country. With this interest, it is anticipated that there are more Egyptians pursuing entrepreneurial opportunities and starting businesses. However, Egyptian entrepreneurs and business owners have faced many challenges over the last couple of years, mainly due to the Egyptian Revolution of 2011 that took place following a popular uprising that began on 25th of January 2011. Thus the 2012 GEM Study is important for Egypt for three key reasons:
1. It is the first study that captures the effect of the 25th of January, 2011 revolution on entrepreneurship in the country; using a nationally representative sample.
2. It is the first study at its level that tackles the status of women in Egypt post revolution.
3. It is the 3rd cycle after 2010 and 2008, enabling emerging trends to be identified